Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Dec-25-2014: First-Time K-Hound Theo Roffe

In my good friend Vinny Muoneke's house, there are several K-Hound awards all lined up.  Each of the many times I've stayed with him before a Seattle ride (I live in Oregon), I looked at these awards and wondered if I, too, could manage to earn one.  This year, I decided to go for it.  I started off on New Year's Day with a group 200K in Seattle and finished with a solo 200K on Christmas in Oregon's wine country.  It would have been nice to finish with friends, but at least I got to start with them and ride with them more than once along the way. 
 
That said, riding the K-Hound has entailed a lot more solo riding than I've ever done before.  It was sometimes quite lonely and I envied riders in Texas and Seattle who are close to big communities of K-Hounds and seem to always post photos of big groups drinking post-ride beers together.  I made it up to Seattle whenever I could, but it's hard to justify the time and expense to travel that far for permanents.
 
I don't know that I'll pursue the K-Hound again any time soon.  There are other goals that I'd like to achieve:  PBP 2015, the Cyclos Montagnards R60 Honors, and an SR600 all come to mind.  But I'm glad I did it and I'm proud to be in such good company.  Yippie Ki Yay!  ...  Theo Roffe 

  • First-Time K-Hound:  Theo Roffe (RUSA #4988)
  • Date:  December 25, 2014
  • Where:  Beaverton-Hagg Lake-Carlton 203K (Perm #1401)  
  • Moment:   The ~10,000K mark was the penultimate control, in Hillsboro, OR (some meandering looking for an info control threw off distance a bit). 
  • Ride Partners:  none. 

Self-portrait at the ~10,000K mark.  [Editor's note:  So serious!]
"Image ... taken by Lynne Fitzsimmons at her house where I turned in my card and she submitted the results right away.  I was also treated to a Texan beer (fitting for an award born in Texas)." [Ed. note:  Smiling -- much better!] 

Congratulations, Theo!  Welcome to the Klub.

[Yippie Ki Yay! -- you've clearly been exchanging emails with Dan.] 

No comments:

Post a Comment